Early Childhood Education (ECE) Pathway
This Pathway enables students to earn both secondary school graduation credits and post-secondary credit and/or credentials which may be transferrable to additional post-secondary studies and/or credentials.
- Duration: Two evenings per week (5pm-8pm), September to April of Grade 12 (UFV Fall and Winter semesters)
- Prior to Start of Pathway: Successful completion of all Grade 10 and Grade 11 graduation-required courses; recommended 70% or higher in all academic courses including English Language Arts 11 and Math 11; enrolled in English Language Arts 12 in Semester 1 of Grade 12; must complete ELA 12 with a minimum of 67% final mark
- Fall Semester: ECE 100 and ECE 103 at UFV Abbotsford - King Road.
- Winter Semester: CMNS 125 - UFV Abbotsford - King Road. ECE 101 - Langley Education Centre
- Transportation*: Responsibility of student
- Equipment & Textbook costs*: Approximately $300
*Subject to change
During the Pathway, students can also apply to the Early Childhood Education Certificate Program at UFV to continue their studies towards an ECE credential after Grade 12 graduation. Upon successfully completing all Pathway courses, students will earn 12 UFV credits that can be used towards fulfilling the ECE Certificate or ECE Diploma requirements, or another UFV credential program such as Bachelor of Arts – Child and Youth Care or Bachelor of Social Work. Students should consult a UFV Academic Advisor to plan their future coursework. Students will also earn 16 Grade 12 elective credits toward Secondary School Graduation (Dogwood Diploma).
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please the Careers Programs District Vice Principal: Michael Pearson (604) 504-4618 or email@example.com
Employment & Career Opportunities
Early Childhood Assistants and Early Childhood Educators can find work in daycares, preschools, nursery schools, special needs centres, public schools, and infant or toddler centres. To be employed in this field, a criminal record check and proof of immunizations will be required. Career opportunities also exist with community services, governmental organizations, hospitals, and parks and recreation departments.