National Day for Truth & Reconciliation
Today is Orange Shirt Day and National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. We honour and uphold Survivors and intergenerational Survivors of the Indian residential school system, and commemorate those who didn’t return home.
As a public education institution, we accept responsibility to contribute toward revealing and correcting miseducation, as well as renewing respectful relationships with Indigenous communities through our teaching and community engagement. We encourage all staff, students and families to take the time to educate, reflect and engage in conversations about truth, reconciliation and the actions that each of us can be taking - both today and on our own learning journeys moving forward.
Resources for Learning
There cannot be reconciliation without truth and understanding. While conversations about the history and impact of residential schools continue to occur within our schools, we encourage you to pursue the learning at home with your family.
- Lex̱éywa Art Activism - A recalling of a residential school experience
- Ray & Millie Silver Indigenous Library – Truth Telling & Reconciliation
- National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation
Resources for Support
We recognize that days like this can be triggering and challenging for many and significantly impact our Indigenous staff, students, families, and local First Nations. If you or your child require ongoing support outside of school, the following agencies are recommended mental health resources:
- START – In an immediate mental health crisis, START is available to consult with caregivers over the phone at 1-844-782-7811.
- Abbotsford Child & Youth Mental Health – Visit their website or call 604-870-5880.
- Abbotsford Hospice Society – Visit their website or call 604-852-2456.
- Foundry – Visit their website or call 604-746-3392.
- Residential School Survivors Society counseling services
If you are an Abbotsford School District employee, additional resources are available to support you through our Employee Assistance Program. Please reach out to <span class="spamspan">hr@<span class="d">abbyschools.ca</span> .